Local History Research
Research your family and regional history in our Local History Room or with our online resources.
In the Library:
- Local cemetery index Montgomery county tombstone inscriptions
- Montgomery County Department of History and Archives Located in Fonda, NY the archives holds a large collection of local genealogy and historical materials.
- Old Fulton, NY Online full text, searchable local newspapers.
- Family Search Provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Mormon Church has the largest genealogical library in the world; family genealogies, church records, census records, probate records from all over the world.
- Social Security Death Index Find the birth date, death date and the place of death for Americans who died after 1962.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet Category index of genealogy websites.
- Vital Records How to obtain birth, death, marriage, or divorce records from different states and territories.
- I Spy Canajoharie Children bring history to life in this I Spy game featuring historic sites in the New York State counties of Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady and Schoharie.
- NY Gen Website Volunteer run website giving historical information about communities throughout NY State.
- Fulton Montgomery Photo Archives A compilation of historic photos from various repositories, including The Johnstown City Historian, The Johnstown Historical Society, The Johnstown Public Library, and The Montgomery County Archives.
- New York Heritage A gateway to hundreds of digital collections from libraries, museums, and archives all over New York State.
- American Memory A gateway to rich primary source materials relating to the history and culture of the United States. The site offers more than 7 million digital items from more than 100 digital collections. Enter the name of your hometown to find historical images.
In the Library:
- Information files on local families and local landmarks
- Newspapers on microfilm
- Books and periodicals relating to Mohawk Valley History
- Bound volumes of local family genealogies
- Canajoharie High School yearbooks